This Friday (9, March 2012) we will bury our son, Elias. We miss him so much.
I had such great plans for him. I was so sure he would grow up and do great things, touch many lives. I had no idea that it would be this way.
People have been wonderful. So many have brought food and things, including things for Ceili Fey’s birthday, which was Tuesday. Some people have even donated money. I am so grateful to them all. Even as much as this hurts, as painful as this is, and as devastated as I am, all of the support we have received has really renewed my faith in humanity.
Today family came over and brought supper. It was so hard to look at their son, just a few months younger than Elias, knowing that Elias should have been here, playing with his cousin. They always played so well together.
I learned earlier today that the coroner got some of the cultures back. Elias tested positive for RSV. Due to this, there was concern about the tests done Monday. The kids went back and had them redone this afternoon.
Here is what our week looked/looks like:
- Monday: get all surviving children swabbed for RSV; go to accountant’s office because business taxes are due earlier than personal; go to mortuary and make arrangements, including casket
- Tuesday: go to cemetery and pick out a burial plot
- Wednesday: take Elias’ clothes to the mortuary; get children swabbed for RSV; pick out music for visitation
- Thursday: burn a CD with music to play at the visitation on Friday
- Friday: be at mortuary at 11; visitation from 12:00 – 2:00; funeral at 2:00; come home; greet everyone coming back with us; after they go home, curl up in a ball and cry
Here’s the music I have picked out. Hopefully it’s not too offensive.
In alphabetical order:
Enya – “A Day Without Rain” (instrumental)
Five for Fighting – “All I Know”
Sarah McLachlan – “Angel”
Alison Krauss – “Baby Mine”
The Williams Brothers – “Can’t Cry Hard Enough”
Celine Dion – “Fly”
Meat Loaf – “Forever Young”
The Dixie Chicks – “Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)”
Jeff Buckley – “Hallelujah”
Anastacia – “How Come the World Won’t Stop”
Eva Cassidy – “I Know You By Heart”
Chris Cornell – “I Promise It’s Not Goodbye”
Sarah McLachlan – “I Will Remember You”
Enya – “If I Could Be Where You Are”
The Beatles – “In My Life”
Billy Joel – “Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel)”
The Muppets – “Mah Na Mah Na”
Metallica – “Nothing Else Matters”
Apocalyptica – “Nothing Else Matters” (instrumental)
Diamond Rio – “One More Day”
James Blunt – “Tears and Rain”
Eric Clapton – “Tears in Heaven”
Faith Hill – “There You’ll Be”
Josh Groban – “To Where You Are”
Enya – “Trains and Winter Rains”
Randy Newman – “We Belong Together”
Kenny Chesney – “Who You’d Be Today”
Randy Newman – “You’ve Got a Friend in Me”
Here are the obits: